Steps to dispute Credit Report Information

Requesting a credit dispute online is easy and fast. The National Credit Act (NCA) has prescribed a process for managing consumer disputes with Credit Bureaus. If you believe that the information on your credit report is incorrect, we suggest that you contact the relevant Credit Bureau to inquire how to log a dispute. The process might vary slightly from institution to institution, but should be more or less as follows:

1. Obtain a current Copy of your Credit Report

There are basically four major Credit Bureaus: 1) ITC Transunion,  2) Experian, 3) XDS and 4) Compuscan. It is quite easy to order your report online from the first 3 bureaus, but to protect your security, they will require proof of your identity.

2. View Your Report Section by Section

Make sure that all the information is correct. If you see information on your report that you believe to be inaccurate, make a note of it and state your reasons as well as any additional facts that further explain your reason. Make sure you provide your email address to receive notification when the results of your investigation are ready to be viewed.

3. When is a dispute valid?

A dispute is considered valid at point of communication from you personally to the relevant Credit Bureau by telephone, fax or e-mail based on the following criteria:

  • You have never had dealings with the plaintiff/credit grantor;
  • The judgment, sequestration, administration order, default, account information does not belong to you;
  • The judgment, default, account information was listed as a result of fraudulent activity;
  • The judgment, sequestration, administration order, default, account information has exceeded its retention period;
  • You were not provided with the 20 day notice period for the listing of default information;
  • The default information is prescribed;
  • There is a duplicate listing of a judgment, sequestration, administration order, default, account information (or combination of above) for the same debt;
  • The account history information has not been updated within the last 60 days;
  • The default data has been settled and not updated within 60 days;
  • An inquiry has been conducted on a credit report that is inaccurate and/or consent was not supplied;
  • Other ad hoc, unfair circumstances have taken place that appear justified and require investigation.
4. Log your dispute

In order for you to log a dispute, you may be required to produce your FICA documentation, which includes a certified copy of your identity document book and any one of the following documents:

  • Electricity account less than 3 months old;
  • Store account statement less than 3 months old;
  • Lease agreement;
  • Letter from a tribal chief or civic organization;
  • Letter from your parents if you are living with your parents;
  • Letter from your employer;
  • Income tax form less than 12 months old.

All documents must include your current address. Return the completed dispute form and the FICA documentation to the address in the instructions provided with the dispute form.

5. A Notice will be sent to the Source of the information

The data will be flagged and logged as disputed for a maximum of 20 business days while the matter is investigated. The Credit Bureau will inform the source of your dispute, who must then verify your account data. If you apply for credit during this time, credit providers will see that there is a dispute on your record, but will not be able to view the disputed information during the investigation period.

Should the information prove to be incorrect or unsubstantiated it will be removed. However, if after investigation, the information is verified as prima facie accurate,  the relevant Credit Bureau will record the dispute as invalid and that the data will remain unchanged on your credit report.

The Credit Bureau will notify you of the results of your dispute investigation once they have finished their investigation into the matter and all the relevant documentation should be provided to you.

If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your query, you may contact the office of the Credit Information Ombud (CIO) on 0861 662 837.

If you are still not satisfied, you may contact the National Credit Regulator on 0861 627 627.


Copyright © 2020 EZ Legal Solutions (Pty) Ltd.
All rights reserved - no reproduction of any content without author's written consent.